ShareThis

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What is it like? ... to be a personal trainer

Matt is 22, he is tall, fit and trains hard. He loves his job, and has been in the industry for a year.

So how did he become to be a personal trainer?

"I sort of fell into it. I have always been involved in sport, so when I wasn't working and looked into TAFE courses I saw fitness and thought it would be a good fit. I ended up loving it."

Is it hard to find work?

Matt laughs "It is very hard to find work! If you're experienced in marketing it would be easier, but since I had none I felt lost. I didn't have the skills to find work and clients, and advertise myself."

Matt explains how he trains his clients,and how to train in general.

"I try to change everything every couple of weeks. I do a few sessions of the exercise so the client can become better, and then keep increasing and making it harder. I spend a lot of time looking at programs and trying to find ways to make it harder every time. Most of the time you're researching and going over notes."

So why is Matt going it alone?

"I used to work for a fitness company but I find working for myself so much better as I like to organize the programs for clients myself. Most companies just give you a set workout to do, but I don't like that. I want to rely on my own knowledge, that's half the fun of it. If someone tells you what to do, it's boring." 

What's it like being your own boss?

"It's hard to get motivated sometimes, but otherwise it's good because you can work around your own schedule."

So what is it like working one on one with people?

"Some people share too much! I get life stories out of people. People tend to talk a lot."

So does Matt see himself continuing as a personal trainer in 5 years?

"I do, I have more confidence in myself now, I am confident in my training abilities. It's just my marketing and advertising abilities I need to work on. I would definitely choose this profession again, if I had my time over. I have had a lot of jobs and it's the only one I've loved."

Does personal training pay well?

"It has the potential to pay well. The busier you are, the better you're paid."

What is Matt's advice to other aspiring personal trainers?

"Confidence. Also, do your research on marketing and advertising yourself if you want to do it alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment